Saturday, March 23, 2013

Double Double

No, this is not a blog post about the popular Tim Horton's order.

It's because this is my second post of the day, which is pretty unusual. And it's also about something else unusual. My double workout. Wait, that is not the unsual part. I do double workouts all the time. All. The. Time. Five days a week usually. And one day a week is a triple. Actually, today was a triple. But my point: my double workout. I just did a brick. And what a brick it was.

My training plan called for a 1:15 ride, followed by a 30 minute run. I wasn't really feeling like it but then I am cursed with being disciplined and really believing you get the race you earn. So I headed out for my favorite ride up to Tynehead Park. Took a QOM title on the climb up (follow me on Strava if you like). It was a good ride, aside from a frustrating crawl over the bridge behind someone riding even slower than me... and ping-ponging off the rails so I couldn't even pass her for fear of the ride turning into the bike version of roller derby!

Came home, peeled off a couple of layers, used the washroom, grabbed my Nikes and my iPod and headed out for the run. I glanced at my Garmin at about the 1K mark and did a double take. I was running a 5:31/km pace. I have only ever done one run faster than this and that was a 5K time trial a few weeks ago and I nearly threw up at the end. My usual pace is a minute to 1:15 slower than this. And I didn't feel like I was pushing it. Weird. Thought maybe it was a Garmin issue. And I kept going. Never going to be able to sustain that pace, not even going to try. Well... hello.























It is in these moments, there is not a doubt in my mind that this is the goal. The goal. This is so much more rewarding than the fleeting satisfaction of being 0.2 lbs lower on the scale. Oh sure, there's probably something to be said here for exercise endorphins. But still. This moment. I needed to be reminded. Strong is the new beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment