Sunday, November 3, 2013

Race Report: Boundary Bay Half Marathon

So who is ready for an epic race report? Well, you’ll have to look elsewhere. When last I left you dear readers, I was feeling meh with a few questions rolling around in my mind: 
  • To carry water or not to carry water? Not. And I don’t regret the decision the way I did with Victoria.
  • Tights or capris? Tights. New ones.  Nice and warm. Maybe a shade too warm for the day & with a decidedly limiting number of pockets but there you go.
  • Weather? Clear & cold, no wind. Perfect.
  • Time machine? Sadly, no.
I went to bed around 10 last night, set my alarm for 5:30 and good night all! I was up, sitting in bed surfing on my iPad and halfway through my first cup of coffee when I realized I’d forgotten to set the clocks back and it was actually 4:30. Gah! Re-set the alarm, put down the coffee and tried to get another hour of sleep. The reality was I lay there awake and worrying about what to wear, how fat I felt, and whether I had the energy to PR.

We arrived at the race about half an hour before the race start which is actually way later than I would normally arrive. Which is good, because it was c-c-cold - plus too much time just makes me get increasingly nervous, notice everyone else and conclude I am too slow and have no business being there. I had just enough time to use the washroom (line ups) and do a brief 800m warm-up run while Ronald McDonald led a warm-up. Seriously. I could not make this up. Check it out.


We started about 10 minutes late. Very congested at the start given the dyke path is so narrow. It didn’t take me too long to get a good place though and get up to speed. But after walking through the 5K water station, I couldn’t get myself back up to speed. I kept doing the math as I was passing the markers thinking I was going to end up at a 2:06 if something didn’t change. At the half mark, I walked long enough to take in some water and have a GU. When I started to run again, I tried to pick up the pace, and passed all the women who had passed me while I was walking. I settled in at a slightly uncomfortable pace and tried to hold it there. I knew sub-2 wasn’t happening and at this point, I just hoped I could pull off a PR. Garmin told me we were running at 5:54 and kept buzzing me to speed up (I’d set my pace window at 5:35-5:50). 

I was aware that someone was running right on my heel forever. Like forever. I kept waiting for them to pass but nope, right on my heel, to the right. At the 14K mark, I glanced over my shoulder to get a look at my shadow and the woman gasped: ”I need you”.

She said she was crap at pacing and that I seemed to be running right at the pace she needed and that she was aiming to get in under 2:04. I told her that my PR was 2:04:31 and I was hoping to beat that. She said she couldn’t run and talk, she just wanted to stick with me. A couple of times she made small talk about her races, past and future, and said she wanted to take me with her on all of her runs! It was weird to be pacing someone in to a PR that was faster than my own! Although, really, a part of me wonders if she wasn’t pacing me in! Her Garmin had her across the start line about 40 seconds after me which is a good thing since when I picked up the pace near the finish and told her to pull away, she dropped back instead. Here I am concentrating on getting in & pulling off a teeny tiny PR. She’s the last runner in the shot. And yes, she got her sub 2:04. Yay 4096!!


I’m still waiting for official results, but according to Garmin, I came in at 2:04:05. A PR by 26 seconds.  And confirmation that racing half marathons 3 weeks apart isn't a bad thing at all. 

This is the last race of the year for me. I now turn my focus to working with my trainer to peel off those 6 lbs and get leaner, stronger and faster so 2014 can be spent setting new PRs! ...And that reminds me, I PR’d every race in 2013. Happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment