Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Better Late Than Never

Oh yes, this title has meaning on a couple of levels... as a 6-week post (at least) race report, oh yes, it's definitely late. It could also be an apt title for a blog entry recapping the race, even if posted the day after. And there's the spoiler: I didn't get my sub-2.

I'm late enough with this post to spare you all the painful details. Ha! Painful in the sense that I could wax on and on about the smallest detail, even if it's of interest to no one but me. For example, they had his & hers porta-potties. Yes! Pink porta potties that smelled pretty, had no disgusting urinal and had mirrors on the back of the door. Ooops. I forgot, I'm meant to be sparing the smallest details. Since my pre-race post referenced the less than awesome weather that was expected, I should at least note that it was quite a beautiful day. Chilly but clear skies. Not a drop of rain. Perfect weather? No... I'll get to that.

The race started out great. My back was feeling OK and I was disciplined with my pacing, running close to the 5:38 i needed, maybe a few seconds faster, but not much. During the race, I felt like I was right on pace until about the 7K mark. In fact, I was on pace for my sub-2 until about the 10K mark. And then what happened? I hit the wind on the seawall. I tried to step up the effort to keep my pace up despite the wind but despite [what felt like] my best efforts, I couldn't recover my pace. Working harder, labouring, running slower. A friend later remarked that I should have tucked in behind someone. Why did this not occur to me? At 5'3", I could have tucked in behind nearly anyone for shelter from that wind!

The harder I dug in to try and go faster, the angrier my back got. By the end, I was in agony - and had to walk all the inclines because my back would spasm. Good times. As I saw sub-2 slipping away, I consoled myself with the fact that a Half PR was a certainty. But then I lost that in the last few K with my back tightening up, finishing in 2:05:20, 1:16 too slow for a 1 second PR. No sub-2, no PR, do not pass go, do not collect $200. On the bright side, it was a course PR, and even with the wind and a grumpy back, I ran this race 2:25 faster than last year.


And while no one turned up at my door with that fancy vegan Cherry Garcia ice cream, I did discover So Delicious Cherry Amaretto coconut milk ice cream. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to survive my break-up with Ben & Jerry just fine.

My next crack at a sub-2 Half will come at the MEC June race. And this one has a lucky history for me... it's the one I took second place in the 5K last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment